Wednesday, October 1, 2008


Journal #2

• Do stereotypes exists in the media today? Explain and if yes, give examples - if no, explain why you believe they do not.
• There is the possibility that people will be immersing themselves in the world of mass media to a point to where they begin to tune out the real world. What might happen if people begin to overly distance themselves from the reality of the outside world? Are there examples of where this has already happened?



I see many stereotypes in the media today. College students are often depicted as over-indulgent party goers, binging on drugs, alcohol and sex.

Women are often depicted as vulnerable sex symbols.

Elderly are depicted as slow, senial, and an overall worthless burden on society. SEE SATIRICAL EXAMPLE

I think that it is very possible for people become overly immersed in the media to the point where their reality is distorted. I see a growing sentiment in my generation where people feel that they should be privileged to wealth and fame as an almost natural right because those are the lives they see depicted on MTV reality shows and in other areas of the media.
I have also heard about people becoming consumed by alternate universe role playing games like second life and world of warcraft. SEE EXAMPLE.

No comments: